
One of the 2008 Printz Honor books tells the tragic story of Sylvia Plath's life through verse. YOUR OWN, SYLVIA: A VERSE PORTRAIT OF SYLVIA PLATH by Stephanie Hemphill tells about Sylvia's life through the author's research of Plath's works, published journals, published letters, biographies, and discussions with former acquaintances. The reader is able to sadly see Sylvia's roller coaster ride with depression and eventual inability to fight it and commit suicide.
Each page is some form of verse written by Hemphill sharing about Sylvia and her life, sometimes through the imagined words of Sylvia using a style of poetry that Plath wrote at that time. At the bottom of the page, the author shares the inspiration for that verse or history behind it.
I remember reading THE BELL JAR for a Freshman lit class. It didn't have the power, possibly due to my youth, that this book has had. It is so sad to read how the depression stole such a gifted literary artist, but it must also be considered that her depression also stimulated her creativity. Excellent book for high school youth to read along with her poetry! After watching the Primetime program about THE LAST LECTURE, you realize how much people's feelings can inspire/influence others.
1 comment:
That seem's like a very good book,Im in the 5th grade and I go to Hirsch and I herd explaining and I hoped right on to see what books you wrote about since i love to read.I was wondering If I'd be able to find that in the Hirsch Library?
Post a Comment